Thursday, April 7, 2011

some people

It happened twice while I was large while being pregnant.  Both times I had popped into the grocery store to grab a few things on the way home from picking the kids' up from school.

There I was, minding my own business and I notice a lady watching me.  I thought maybe she was amused at how I was waddling around, trying to grocery shop with all the kids.  Then came her loaded question, "Are those all yours?"

"Yes they are," was my answer.

Then she opened her mouth and removed any doubt of her lack of intelligence, "That is so irresponsible."

How does that saying go?  "Never argue with an idiot.  They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."  I have learned from past experiences how true that is; so I just smiled politely and let her walk away.

The second occasion was maybe three weeks later, same reason, different grocery store.  This time I was picking through the oranges, trying to find the best ones.  Side note: the thicker, bumpier the peel, the better.

There I was filling my bag with vitamin-c, and I see this guy giving us the same look.  I brace myself for his unsolicited conversation.

"Those all yours?"

"Yes they are," was my answer again.

Then he pauses, and I could tell he was looking for just the right, follow-up sound bite.  And he found it, "What are you?  Some kind of Jesus-lovin' christian freak?  Those are the only ones who have that many kids nowadays.  They don't use birth control, you know."

Right here I felt like breaking into song singing this.  Not wanting to get into some deep, doctrine tug-o-war, my reply was, "I sure do love Him, but my husband and I also just love kids."

The dude said some other mumbo-jumbo about being 43 years-old and having seven kids of his own by three different women and then thankfully, walked out of the store.

Some people need to learn and abide by the other sage advice, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

took this picture back in '06 at a Wendy's drive-thru.  i knew it would come in handy some day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW Rachel....I can't believe you were able to remain calm. I am so impressed. I think I need to learn from you. I have been asked 'are they all yours'.....but never has anyone ever continued to comment afterward. If they had...I don't think I could have smiled like you.

I do find it funny that anytime I have all the kids with me I can actually see people counting them as we walk by.

Large families ROCK. And who cares what others think anyway.

SarahJane said...

Funny stories.

You're never going to please everyone else. Might as well please yourself.

L Garcia Muro said...

Hi, children are a blessing from God, Be thankful, you did great.

visit:
marriagewithgod.blogspot.com

Jill said...

Ha Ha WOW! People are amazingly rude. I dont even know what to say about this post!