Wednesday, August 6, 2008

what the heck?!

I consider myself to be a pretty reasonable merman. ((quoting king triton)) But I seriously want to know what is with ((some of)) the youth of today?

Situation 1--

Last night, around 9:30, I was flipping channels and Aaron was on the couch next to me reading 'Breaking Dawn'. ((he's about 1/2 way through, i finished monday night)) Our windows are open trying to cool the apartment down after a hot day. We have a "lovely" pile of dirt that has been dumped right near our place. The construction workers add to/take away what ever they need. Some of the older boys in the complex have been coming down to play on the irresistible mountain during the day and in the evenings. I don't mind that at all. But last night I hear their voices start to get louder and louder; and soon enough two of the three boys are having a yelling match right outside. Using language sailors would blush at and hide their bearded heads. I quickly go outside and tell the boys in my most authoritative voice that I had had enough of their yelling and using fowl language right outside our apartment. What they were doing and saying was completely inappropriate and if I heard it again, I was coming back outside and walking each of them home to their moms. ((none of them have dads that are around)) The older of the two that were having a go at it, tries to tell me it's freedom of speech and to mind my own business. I told them it had nothing to do with freedom of speech and that they should respect their elders ((yes, i really said that)) and to have some respect for their neighbors. And then I said that if I seemed mad now, then to just wait and see what happens if they wake-up my kids. I return to my spot on the couch and not 3-4 more minutes go by that I hear them yelling again. This time dropping more f-bombs then I could count and one of them was using the n-word, over and over again. I was beyond pissed. I get outside and yell at them that it was enough and to tell me where they lived because I was taking them home. That shut them up. I did know where one of them lived and about where the other two lived. And the one quickly snitched to me the exact number of their apartment. That one was trying to explain to me that it was the older one who was making everything bad, and that's why he was yelling back at him. I told him it didn't matter and that I was still talking to his mom. She didn't really seem to care. And the other two, their mom was gone babysitting. So I still get to go down later today after Aaron gets home from work and talk to her.

Situation 2--

Today, right after noon, I'm getting the kids up to the table for lunch. I look out our kitchen window and see 3 different kids standing on the grate that covers part of the irrigation. They look to be about 10 years old. I couldn't really tell what they doing at first, so I moved to look out of our bigger kitchen window. Then I didn't like what I was seeing. One of the 2 boys ((yes, the 3rd kid was a girl)), was relieving himself. Marking his territory. Making water. Barely 30 feet from our place. And his friends thought it was great. I open up the door and yell, "What the hell do you think you're doing? ((if there's going to be any swearing around my house, it's going to come from me)) I don't appreciate you taking a piss right outside my apartment where I can see the whole thing. My kids can see outside the window and you need to leave now. It's disgusting." The guilty one zipped up his shorts faster than he's probably ever done in his life. They all walk off, avoiding eye contact with me and mumbling "sorry". Now I'm all for boys peeing outside. It's just better done in certain places that the public can't be a witness to. And especially not where my kids play.

So again I ask, what's with some of the youth of today? Talking back to adults they don't know. Peeing in the middle of the day in plain sight of whoever. I don't get it.

4 comments:

Stan and Jamie said...

You are hilarious!! Good for you for taking the kids home! And since his mom didn't really care it's pretty obvious why he does it in the first place...because he can...and nobody tells him otherwise! So good for you!

Anjuli Fry said...

I am right there with you!! Some kids destroyed Conner's blow up pool he got for his birthday. It was clearly on our back area. I noticed it when I was watering my tomatoes and when I went to look down the row of townhomes 3 boys between 9-12 ran away. He was only the 2nd of summer. Unlike you I wasn't brave enough to talk to their parents.

Jolie said...

Lack of parenting...good parenting. It seems like if that mom was complacent about her son's behavior then she doesn't expect any better from him. Sad sad. Sounds like they need a visit from the Super Nanny!!
I, too, get extremely annoyed when kids/teens act so disrespectfully.
Good for you for being so assertive for confronting them and then so consistent to follow through with your threats!
Maybe it'll to a shread of good for them. Let's hope.

The Dillon 6 said...

It's SUCH a good thing that Malcolm doesn't live in your neighborhood --he'd drive you crazy! ;) Just kidding.

Way to handle the situation, though! You are O-L-D!!!