Friday, March 28, 2008

what a long, strange run its been

That's how I feel about training for the marathon. I thought about keeping a running journal, even having it's own blog; so I could remember each run. But I never got around to it, and now the marathon is next Saturday.
I must really be stupid. That's the conclusion I've come to after all this time. Back in December, all I could think about was how I've always wanted to run one and how I'd have to find one in the spring because I'll probably be pregnant by the end of summer. ((i know, i better stop thinking about it or else i'll end up pregnant before then. i better move our toothbrushes away from each other, too))
I don't have dreams of grandeur about finishing in first, or second, or 50th. I realize my finishing time will be about 5 hours. And I'm ok with that. I had to take a little over a month off of running because of my retarded knee. So there's really nothing else left to do but run the race and get it over with.
I've thought about all the fun times I've had on my runs. How unbelievable it felt to run 13 miles for the first time. Seeing the many dead animals; cats, skunks, birds, mice, unidentifiable ones. Running in negative degree weather. Almost being hit by inconsiderate drivers too many times to count. ((really, people. i'm not running in the middle of the road; i keep to my side of the shoulder, you should stay on your side of the white line, too.)) On my run last Saturday, it was WINDY!! I felt like I was running with an open parachute behind me. I had to plan which way I'd run so when I was almost done, the wind would be at my back. It was so windy and chilly outside ((we had a flocking of snow the night before)) that before I could wipe my runny nose, the wind would carry away for me. And at one point the wind got so bad that my face felt like I was actually using that parachute and falling from the sky. My face was literally flapping in the wind. A boy rode by on his bike and if I could have made my legs go any faster, I would have taken him out and ridden his bike home.
Yesterdays run I was out in the middle of farm country and I see a white car coming my way and it's slowing down. I didn't recognize the car or who was driving it. When it gets close enough, it stops and the passenger hangs out the window and asks if this was Ellensburg and then for directions to CWU. It was two Japanese boys, out in the middle of Ellensburg, barely speaking english. They must have taken a wrong turn off the freeway. I really have no idea how they ended up out there, but it was funny.
Fun times, strange times. I am excited for the marathon. It's going to be cool. It's going to hurt. It's going to be the hardest thing I've ever done. Birthing my three babies was cakewalk compared to this. And I'm paying to do this. I must really be stupid.

5 comments:

Jolie said...

You're funny Rachel. I'm sure next Saturday there will be plenty of times during the race when you will think to yourself, "Self, you are really, really stupid."
;-)

But you're really not. You are training to do something INCREDIBLE. Something that only a teenie fraction of the human population will ever be able to say they've done. I think your efforts are SO commendable and inspiring!!! Just think how gratifying it will feel when you finish that race to say that you RAN A MARATHON. Oh my goodness. That will be awesome.

You're awesome Rachel!!!

Stan and Jamie said...

Rachel you are seriously CRAZY!!! But that is what I love about you! Good for you and for all your hard work! Just think, this time next week, you'll have done it!!! CONGRATS in advance...;) Where is this marathon anyways?

ray-ray says said...

I just added a link on the first marathon word. ((does that sentence even make sense?)) Anyways...it starts out by the Days Inn and finishes right before Selah. Insane.

The Dillon 6 said...

c-r-a-z-y. lady, you are c-r-a-z-y!

But I am envious of your iron-clad willpower and determination. I can't even make myself walk to the bus stop on some days... :(

Momoko Photography said...

Keep it up Rae May Smith! You are soooo close.
Mo