Sunday, February 24, 2008

drawings, limbo, and good news

Corgan drew some pictures of one of his favorite things in the whole wide world at school on Friday. Transformers. His love affair with them is so funny. He never gets tired of them. He drew them in their automobile disguises on one side of the paper, and on the other side is them after transforming. He said he didn't have a lot of time to put more of the "cool stuff" on them. So cute!

This one is Optimus Prime.

This one is Ratchet.

We had a ward party last night and Aaron has been hiding his limbo light under a bushel from us. He ended up coming in second place. Just behind a sister in the ward who is 5'3" and was a gymnast in her high school days. Not too shabby. How low can you go?
So I went to the doctors' on Wednesday. I was seen by the physician assistant and I was really worried he wouldn't know what he was doing. But, I LOVED him!!! He was the nicest guy! He was easy going, asked lots of the right questions, didn't give answers just to answer hear himself talk, funny, informative, next to my baby doctor ((i love you Dr. Bigler!!)) he's my favorite. He told me pretty much what I already knew about my knee. I overworked it and I needed new shoes. I told him that when I had said that to my husband when the injury first happened, Aaron had said that my knee probably wasn't hurt and that I really just wanted a new pair of shoes. ;) So then he wrote me up a "prescription" for a new pair of running shoes just so Aaron couldn't say anything about it!!! He is awesome!! He said I could still run the marathon if I'm careful with my training and do some cross training as well. I went running Thursday and Saturday and my knee felt ok and tomorrow I'll start going to the Rec. Center at the college to workout. I just hope everything continues to go well. Knock on wood.
thankful things:
1- after 3 weeks of rest, i can run again!!!
2- corgan and lily were super good at church today. we've started to hold off on the "church bag" until after the sacrament. the first few weeks were tough for them but they can now sit and wait to get their books, crayons, etc. until after the sacrament.
3- pina colada cake. i made it for the ward party last night and it was so yummy!!! definitely one to make again.

I'm adding the recipe for those who want to make it....it really is really good!

CAKE
1 can (15 oz) cream of coconut
1 package plain yellow cake mix
1 package (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 c light rum**
1/3 c vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1 c unsweetened grated coconut

COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM
1 c heavy whipped cream
1 can (8.5 oz) coconut cream

-Pre-heat oven to 350, grease 12-cup bundt pan.
-Place cake mix, pudding mix, 1/2 c cream of coconut, 1/2 cup rum, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low speed for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down sides of bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes more, scraping down sides as needed. The batter should look thick and smooth. Fold in the crushed pineapple until it is well distributed throughout the batter. Pour the batter in to prepared pan. Place pan in oven.
-Bake until cake springs back when lightly pressed with finger and it just starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, 50-55 minutes. Remove the pan and place it on wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Place the coconut in a pan and toast it in the oven until lightly browned, 4 tp 5 minutes. Remove pan and set aside. Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a serving platter.
-For the coconut whipped cream, place the heavy whipping cream and cream of coconut ((it's just over a cup, i used 1 1/4 c)) in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
-Slice and serve the cake topped with coconut whipped cream and garnished with toasted coconut.

**rum substitute--for 1/4 c rum substitute 1T rum extract plus enough liquid to make 1/4. adjust for needed amount.

this is the stuff that i used; couldn't find it in the cans, but this is much easier to use. it's squeezable! found it on the drink isle with the margarita mixes. you'll need only one of these for the recipe.

5 comments:

Jolie said...

Lots to comment on...first, Corgan's drawings are awesome!! That boy has quite the imagination. Second, it's neat to me that after, what, 7 years of marriage, Aaron still pulls tricks out of his hat and surprises you with hidden talents. Very cool. It's stuff like that that keeps a marriage fun!! ;-)
Finally, I am very happy for you because I know how much you're eager to keep training for a marathon. I hope that with your "prescription shoes" you will have success.
So, is that physician's assistant taking new patients???? I am feeling pretty SICK and tired of my entire wardrobe, and I think that my mental health would drastically improve if I got all new clothes. I'm sure he could write me a prescription too, eh?!
That way when I max out our credit card Josh can't say a word. ;-)

The Dillon 6 said...

great news on the knee!! Cute transformers ~ I thought (at first) that they were drawn on your WALL! ;) And, please share your recipe for pina colada cake...I always need an excuse (ha!) to eat some cake...

Nate and Marcie said...

I love the perscription for new shoes, that's the kind of doctor I want! And yeah, pina colada cake, sounds delish. Where's the recipe?

Stan and Jamie said...

hey Rachel, so sorry about not responding to your email...it's been crazy around here! It looks like you figured out the picture thing though...? If you have any more questions, feel free (and I promise I WILL respond!) and the Fry's are also MAC owners, they actually helped us get into them!! Hope you're doing great and we'll talk to you later!

Momoko Photography said...

Rae,
I went to the doctors because my knee hurt as well as my shins. My doctor said the same thing to me. He told me my shoes were too old and I need buy a new pair of shoes every 6-9 months depending how often I ran. It made all the difference in the world to get new shoes that were good shoes!