Monday, November 19, 2012

derek carlile

I have been biting my blogging tongue for the past eight months.


For a couple of reasons.

The main one being love.

When you love someone and see them in pain, you can't help but feel some yourself. You even wish you could take their pain away.

Also, when you hear of things that are being said about someone you love that you know are completely false, misleading, judgmental, something inside of you is stirred up and all you want to do is set those ignorant people straight.

Eight months ago our bestest friends in the whole wide world were put through probably one of the most painful things anyone could experience. One of their own children died in a horrible accident. One that they know is their fault and will live with that knowledge the rest of their earthly days. The one time something was forgotten had tragic consequences.

Last week was Derek's day in court. Someone decided to charge him with second degree manslaughter for what happened. Thankfully, he had an amazing lawyer. Thankfully, prayers were answered. And thankfully, the verdict ended with a hung jury. Seven voted for not guilty, four voted guilty, and one was undecided. The prosecution still has the option to retry the case. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

One of the hardest parts was sitting in the courtroom and not being able to stand up myself and tell the jury who the real Derek Carlile is. He is definitely not who the prosecutor, the media, or those crazy people on the internet who have nothing better to do than leave nearsighted comments online think he is.

Since a picture paints a thousand words, here are a few thousand words for you to feel about who the real Derek Carlile is.












  







6 comments:

Savanah said...

Rachel,
I stumbled across your blog a while back. I remember when this case was discussed on the news; I was, and am, terribly sad for the Carlile family. My family lost a child in a horrible, tragic accident on March 3, 2007. I have observed the effects of such an event and pray Derek's case is not retried. The Carliles have lost a child, which is something no parent should have to endure. Hope it's alright that I commented on your blog. I am a School Psychologist and Central grad. Just wanted you to know I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on your good friend. Glad you shared these pictures of Derek; continued prayers for him, his family, and many friends.

Plain City Dickamores said...

Fuzzbucket, This post is Perfect:) I love what you said and I love all the pictures of Derek, you can really see what a family man he is, and how he loves his family and everyone around him. I am so sorry that his family had to go through such a tragedy. HOpefully it has made them stronger. thanks for keeping us updated..

Anna Schoenwald said...

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

xoxo said...

A simple error of judgement to equal a lifetime of heartache. It saddens me that this even went to trial. My heart goes to the Carlise family.

Maytribe said...

Rachel, So glad you are able to share your thoughts and feelings about Derek and his family. You do it so beautifully. Love you all.

Melissa said...

I have thought a lot about his family since reading about it here and running into you at church while back. My heart hurts for him and his family and I was so sad to see that he had to go to trial. I hope and pray for healing for them as they move forward. They look like a beautiful family.