Thursday, October 18, 2012

cherry delight

I don't even know where the recipe for Aaron's ritual birthday dessert came from. I think it was maybe from a lady at church. Maybe. It's not a fancy dessert. I suppose it's like a whipped cheesecake? What I do know for sure it that it's the one thing he wants every year on his birthday. The ol' saying of "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach", definitely applies to my guy.

I have been relying on my unreformed, chicken-scratched Egyptian copy of the recipe I wrote down when I called his mom and asked for the recipe nine years ago.

It's reeeeally easy to make. The only special ingredient you need is the Dream Whip. I had never heard of it before, nor do I use it for anything but this. So I hope they don't ever stop making it or else Aaron's birthday won't be so happy.


Make the graham cracker crust first. I just smash up the crackers in their own bag until it rips open and then smash up the bigger pieces with the bottom of a mason jar, as Lily is perfectly performing.


After the crumbs are about the same size, sprinkle the top with some sugar.


Melt stick of butter and pour over graham crackers and lightly press into bottom of pan.


Set the pan aside. In your mixer you'll add two envelopes of the Dream Whip and follow the directions on the side of the box.


To the Dream Whip you'll add the vanilla. 



And the milk.


Then beat on high until the mixture thickens and forms peaks.


This is where it is Dream Whip. Kinda sorta like whipped cream.


To the Dream Whip you add the cream cheese and powdered sugar. A very important tip here is to make sure your cream cheese is very soft. I take mine out and set it on the counter hours before I make this. If it isn't completely softened, you'll end up with little chunks of cream cheese in the final mixture and that's no good. And I know the written recipe calls for two 3oz packages of cream cheese, I make it easy and add just one 8oz package.


After you add the cream cheese and sugar, beat on high until peaks again have formed. Then pour mixture into prepared pan.


And smooth out and then lick the spatula clean.


Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours. I've found that it needs at least 6-8 hours to set up to the right consistency.


When it's ready to serve, you pop open a can of cherry pie filling and spread on top. Another little tip is that I keep the canned filling in the fridge, that way it's nice and cold.


I just sort of drop spoonfuls on top and smooth it out until it's covered.


He loves this. I seriously only make it once a year, maybe that's why it has retained its specialness.


It doesn't come out of the pan in neat little squares. You just sort of scoop it out and plop it on a dish.


Or just eat it right out of the pan.


It's good.


Cherry Delight

Ingredients:

1 package graham crackers, crushed
1 stick of butter, melted
1-2 tbs. sugar

2 envelopes Dream Whip
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened

1 21 oz. can cherry pie filling

Directions:

Crush graham crackers and sprinkle with sugar in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Add melted butter and lightly press into bottom of pan. Set aside.

With mixer, add 2 envelopes of Dream Whip, milk and vanilla. Mix on low speed until blended. Then beat on high for 4 minutes or until topping thickens and forms peaks.

To that mixture, add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and softened cream cheese. Whip until peaks form.

Pour into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours. About 6.

When ready to serve, spread can of cherry pie filling over top.

4 comments:

Beth Tunnell said...

It looks just like my mom's version of the betty crocker no bake cheese cake. She follows the directions, then folds in a tub of cool whip to the filling before adding it to the crust. Yummy, but only good about once a year ;)

The Royals said...

I am just gonna pin this if you don't mind!

ray-ray says said...

Go right ahead! Share the Cherry Delight wealth!

kmay and mike said...

And I should have read the next post before I made my last comment! I need to make some cherry delight! :)