Tuesday, February 28, 2012

i must be crazy to be in a loony bin like this

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but I haven't been running.

I can't even remember the last time I went on a run. I think it was maybe around the middle of January. Don't quote me on that, I'm probably wrong. Also, don't tell my husband I just admitted to the slight possibility of being wrong. He thinks I'm right all the time. At least that's what I tell him. And just because I think I'm hilarious, here's a conversation we had on Saturday night after he got home from the store:

him: "I just thought of something awesome on the way home."

me: "Me."

That has nothing to do with running, but it popped in my head and I thought I'd share.

That's a perfect example of what not running has done to me. Made me all scattered brained. I used to be able to go for a run and think things through and figure things out and solve all the world's problems.

But since I haven't had that daily dose of my own personal "physical therapy", I feel as if I've flown over the cuckoo's nest. Which by the way, I saw on t.v. the other week, 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'. I know it was probably all edited and stuff, but I really liked it. Aaron and I sat and watched it and thought it was a pretty funny movie, in its own crazy way. Reminded me a little bit of 'Cool Hand Luke', another one of my favorite movie's.

"What we've got here, is a failure to communicate."

Some of my other all time favorites are 'The Dirty Dozen', 'The Great Escape', 'Clue'. Oh, one of my all time favorite movies ever made is 'Scavenger Hunt'. It was made way back before I was born, and has its cult following. It is so funny. There are so many, many, many one-liners in 'Scavenger Hunt'.

"I am not a short order cook! I am a master chef!"
"They killed Buzzy!! They killed Buzzy!"
"Zey have keeled Monclaire!"
"Vhy don't vee put it under a meecroscope and make zem smalla'?
"John Crapper."
"Well Einstien, look at me. A second ago I wasn't standing here talking to a moron."

I could probably quote the entire movie.

Are you still with me? Back to the why of this post. I haven't been running because that problem with my knee came back. I decided to stop being a man about it, and actually talk to a professional to figure it out. We have a friend whose dad is a physical therapist who really knows his stuff. He used work for some professional team yeeears ago, so I trust him. Before I even finished telling him my symptoms, he knew exactly what was wrong and what I kneed-ed to do. Punny.

So I have what's called Pes Ansirine. Easily fixed and won't be a chronic problem, assuming I take care of it properly. Which means I have to start stretching. I hate stretching. Stretching is for people who do yoga. But I suppose since I'm not getting any younger, I can no longer go running and not stretch. So I decided to cut back on the running and take it really easy while I nurse my knee back to health. The consequences of such action has really caused my thoughts to not make any sense.

Oh, and I really love 'Chariot's of Fire'.
 

3 comments:

kmay and mike said...

SOOOOOO scattered, but it made perfect sense to me. And your no running will help me win our bet ;)

Jill said...

Ohh i soooo hate stretching too. So i also dont do it much....if at all.....I dont get scattered i get manic depressed if i dont run. Be glad your scattered!!

Maytribe said...

Have you ever made sense? And, I could probably help you figure out why your favorite movies are your favorite movies!