Friday, January 13, 2012

hair whisperer

From the time I can remember, my Aunt Denise would always tell me two things anytime I saw her. 1) never, under any circumstance should I get bangs or she'll kill me. And 2) whoever I marry will be in love with my curly hair almost as much as he loves me.
She was right about the second one, and I know she'd make good on the first one, so I've never had bangs.

But this shout out goes to Jake Thompson.
Edward Scissorhands wishes he was as good as this guy.
He is the co-owner of Lunatic Fringe in Sugarhouse, south of Salt Lake and when I was down visiting my sister, I had the profound opportunity to have him cut my hair.
As you can tell by my stupid, little smile, I was pretty excited about gettin' my hair did by him.


He had a lot of hair to work with. The longest layer was only a mere 5 or 6 inches from my waist.
Jake is so good at what he does, took him less than 30 minutes from the first cut of the scissor to make the frizz on my head a thing of beauty again.
We bonded over the fact that we both have been blessed/cursed with naturally curly hair. And how during our formidable years of teenage scrutiny, we had no idea how to tame the wild beast on top of our heads. I actually wore my hair up in a bun from about the middle of 7th grade until I was going into 10th grade. All because two boys in my English class thought it was soooooo funny to throw mini paper airplanes into the bucket of fuzz that was my hair. True story.


He called me "love", the entire time.
"Alright, Love, what would you like to see done?"
"Come back with me, Love, and we'll condition your hair."
I loved that.


If you are within a thousand mile radius of this guy, go to him for all your hair needs.
He's classy, quietly funny, and knows hair like Columbus knew the world was round. And he'll go to the ends of the earth to make sure you're happy with your hair.

5 comments:

Hoovy4 said...

HELLO?!? Finished product? Extol his talent all you want. I want photographic proof.

kmay and mike said...

he truly is the hair whisperer. :)

Smith Family said...

I was just going to say the same thing...where's the finished product??? Need a picture!

Anjuli said...

Thanks for the tip. I am always looking for a good hairstylist to work with my hair.. I found a salon over here that was trained in New York but the DEVAcurl salon. But on my bucket list is to go to New York to the Curly Girl Salon!!!

ericksonzone said...

I want the reveal! I know you did that on purpose, but that's n fair!