Tuesday, January 11, 2011

on being pregnant

It's a wonderful, terrible thing isn't it?

The baby part is nice, I guess. But why does my body feel the need to put on more weight than I feel is necessary?

My last doctor visit revealed that I have hit the big 5-0, and with about eight weeks left, I'm confident that number will continue to rise.

Can't say I'm not a positive person.

I am hoping against all hope that I have a 35 pound baby growing inside me. But my past experiences have already proven that wrong. But one can always have hope, right?

One of the endless reasons I love my baby doctor is that he never says a negative thing about packing on the pounds while gestating. That is, unless it becomes medically necessary to keep it under control for the well-being of baby and mama. It's also one of the endless things I love about my husband, he says it's because I need to keep the baby warm. I told him that me wearing multiple layers of wool would work just as well.

Here's a super funny story for you at my ever growing expense....

A few days ago, Lily was hitting my bum. She very honestly and sweetly said, "Mom! Your bum jiggles when I hit it!" And she proceeded to hit it another three of four times, laughing harder with each hit, until I knocked her out. Kidding. Totally kidding.

It gets better. At church this past Sunday we're sitting in sacrament meeting and she starts very kindly jiggling my upper arm flab, saying, "Mom! Your arm jiggles just like your bum!"

I told her she was lucky that there were a few hundred people there who could be called as witnesses or else.....

Aaron tells me to not worry about. But those menfolk just don't understand, do they. They think they do, but they don't. I'd like to see them put on 50+ pounds in about nine months and be cheerful about it.

But even with all the morning sickness, cravings, weight gain, hormonal emotions, being pregnant is a wonderful thing. I consider myself very blessed to have been able to carry five--fingers crossed--healthy babies. One of my most favorite feelings in the world is to have that little somebody growing inside of me kick me. Most likely giving me a little reality check to the miracle that is childbirth. Who cares if I spend the rest of my life working off all the extra "love" that has accumulated on my body? I am their mom and they love me.

But you know what they say about payback.....Lily, are you listening??

3 comments:

Ashley Calaway said...

You look great! And trust me, I gained about 15 more pounds than I wanted to with Claire. It's just one of those unfortunate things with pregnancy. But remember, once you start nursing, the weight just melts off. I think I lost 20 or 25 pounds in the first week after I had Claire.

I miss having the kicking inside. I loved that part. But having her here is way better. :)

I love your posts, by the way. I am always laughing so hard when I read them!

Jolie said...

You're really a great writer! You need to be a contributor to one of those mom magazines with all your funny stories about childrearin'. ;-)
And for gaining 50 lbs, you still look AMAZING. So don't even worry about it. Besides, with you being a marathon runner and all, it'll be gone before you know it.

SSToone said...

Thank you for making me feel better! I think I'm a week or less behind you, but I've gained around 40... The joy.