Saturday, January 8, 2011

a letter

Hey Dad....it's been awhile.

You wouldn't believe how fast this past year has gone, it must seem like only seconds for you. Before you know it, we'll all be together again.

I just wanted to let you know how things have been going since you left.

Aaron is growing out his hair. I've told him that you would've "accidentally" cut it somehow by now and he agrees. I did get him a new set of clippers for Christmas. Maybe he'll put them to good use soon.

The kids are doing good. Corgan is the same....still missing his two front teeth and still thinks he knows everything about everything. He has turned into a very smart young boy. Smarty pants and smart aleck. Not sure how that happened. Aaron and I are very serious people so this is quite the surprise.

Your little, Miss Lily is still petite and sweet. You should have seen her play soccer last fall. Her blonde pigtails bouncing around, just happy to be out there running after the ball. It was great.

Blake is a little mini-Aaron, spittin' image of his dad. He is content being at home and having Cade be his shadow while the others are at school.

Cade is the funniest boy in world and can eat his older brothers and sister under the table.

And I'm pregnant again. No surprise there, right?

I think about you everyday. Pretty sure that's just how it's going to be. I've learned a lot this past year about what's really important like family and other nonsense like that. One of the other big things is that pain and peace can coexist. Sort of like how you can't have the sweet without knowing the bitter.

The temporary separation is the hardest part.

But I have peace knowing we will live and laugh together again.

There's that whole pain and peace coexisting thing.

I've been thinking lately of how much you and I are a lot alike. And then I got to thinking of how the others are like you, too.

April is patient and has the forethought to think before speaking.
Dyan has the desire to keep our family close.
Danny has a quiet, strong testimony of the gospel.
Craig's faith is unwavering and sees things how they should be.
Lael likes things done in order and wants to have things be right.
Krissy has the determination to set goals and see them finished.

And we're all as stubborn as hell. Thank-you very much.

I know I told you in your living years, but I'll say it loud again and again, I love you.

I miss you something fierce.

much love,

fuzzbucket

p.s. april and dave got two cats. can you believe that? i guess they figured you wouldn't be visiting them anytime soon so i guess it's okay.

p.p.s. i kind of ruined my knee when i ran the marathon last year. maybe you could put in a good word for me and He could fix that little problem. thanks.

7 comments:

Maytribe said...

I thought you said I wouldn't need a tissue! ...and you are right, it is possible for pain and peace to coexist...every day, every hour, every minutes. And in case you've forgotten in your living years...I love you!

Plain City Dickamores said...

Wow!! that is really sweet!!! Thanks for making us all ball like babies:)

Hoovy4 said...

You put my blog post to shame! I love you and your way with words. What this post really needed was this link, for those people who don't understand the reference to the "living years"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hecw1k

Puhlman said...

OH Rachel.....this was so close to home for me. I miss my dad SO much to and I think about him EVERY DAY........and it seems like everything reminds me of him.

I do not like this time apart but like you I know it won't be long.

Thanks for your wonderful example and your wavering testimony too.

You are awesome...just awesome and I know your dad is looking down and is so proud to call you his daughter.

The Dillon 6 said...

sure love you, Rachel. :)

Sampson Family said...

I have been thinking so much about your Dad lately. I sure miss him, and I only got to share him for a few years. Thanks for posting this, and thanks for letting me be a small part of the family for a while.

ericksonzone said...

loved it...sorry it's hard sometimes,all the time...love you!