Wednesday, October 21, 2009

an ending part 1

If you can all remember back to this post...

It's a funny story.

No, not really.

But yes, it's a funny, sad story.

Let me give a bit of background.

My husband, as you know, is a bit of a vintage Volvo nut. That's one of the reasons why I think, all those many years ago when I was still classified as a teenager, and he was a cradle-robbing fool, why he fell for me. I drove a 1980 something green, two-door Volvo. It was love at first sight of me driving behind that wheel.

The car was pretty sweet.

It had a sun roof.

But I digress.

He also has another love that runs deeply through his veins. And that is a love for Volkswagons. Not the uppity Passat or Touareg kind.

No. He's in a deeply committed relationship with Volkswagon Vanagons.

He even spends time looking at them on the Internet.

Almost everyday.

But I would much rather have him checking out what's under the hood of an '89 rather than what's under the hood of a 23. If you know what I mean.

So it was the case of a late January day....

Oh! I forgot to mention, this whole love affair with vintage Volvos and Vanagons is very much a part of the Smith Family. Brothers, uncles, cousins, they are all affected. Or infected. Depending on the day and if it's running or not.

It is a love/hate relationship on so many, many, many different levels.

The men love/hate their vehicles and the wives love/hate their husbands for their love/hate relationship with said vehicles. It is one continuous cycle of love and hate.

Back to January....Uncle Bill and Uncle Kent were in Southern California. They of course having the knowledge that Aaron was in the market for a new Vanagon, were looking on craigslist, and going out to check-out a few that looked promising.

I answered a call from Uncle Kent. Oh, boy! Was he excited. He was rapid-fire telling me all the details of this one van.

I won't bore you non-Vanagon lovers with those.

But even I was excited hearing how sweet this van was. And he said that if we didn't want it that he was going to buy it himself, because someone else in the family might want it.

See? The craziness runs in the whole family. I wasn't kidding.

I passed the message on to Aaron when he arrived home from work. We looked at the description on craigslist and from the pictures Uncle Bill and Uncle Kent took.

We decided to get it. And another cool thing was that Dad Dale was going to be in Southern California for business the next week, so he could drive it up for us! Yay!

But oh, how quickly bubbles burst....

this here is our old vanagon.
yes, that's a real pony sticking his head out of the window.