Tuesday, June 2, 2009

for the birds

I will no longer think that Alfred Hitchcock's movie about birds is lame and not scary at all.

On my run last night, just after 8 o'clock, which by the way, is the worst time to go running. The gnats are out in full force and I find myself running through swarms of them and getting plenty up my nose. I have music playing in my ears but I can start to hear squawks coming from up above my head.

I look up and there is three smallish black birds flying at the same pace I'm running. Didn't think much about them. I run a few more minutes and then turn around when I reached 25 minutes on my watch. I'm running past the same spot and they returned again. This time flying closer to me.

By this time, I realize that they are trying to keep me, the predator, away from the nest. I pick up the pace just a little. But there is one bird that won't give up. I hear it getting much too close and turn around and see it flying right behind me, ready to kamikaze my head! It was seriously like it was a fighter jet and it was ready to unload its ammo at me.

I then start sprinting down the trail, covering my head with my arms, and I can still hear it squawking as it does a fly-by my head! I actually swatted at it, it was that close.

Death by a stupid black bird, that's what I was thinking.

It finally got through its little bird brain that I wasn't going to anywhere near its nest and left me alone.

Then I was nipped at by a terrier. A boy was taking his dog for a walk on the trail and he thought it would be a great idea to start running so the dog would chase him.

Nope.

The dog chased me and nipped at my right ankle.

Then right after that, a beetle flew smack into my left eye.

Who ever said that running wasn't a contact sport was loony.



And to make myself feel better, I think I might make some more of these from Tuesdays with Dorie. Chipster-Topped Brownies. Their two forces combined make for some magic in your mouth. You can find the recipe here. ((this was last weeks recipe, but i was a retard and didn't post it, even though i made them for cinco de mayo))

This was all that was left when I remembered I still needed to take a picture. They're that good. And hopefully I can get around to doing todays recipe, Cinnamon Squares.

Check back and there might be a picture of that.


Here they are:

I did omit the espresso powder. Go figure.

To me, it had the flavor and texture of a coffee cake. But of course, with the always welcome, chocolate! Pretty darn good cake.

6 comments:

Jolie said...

yikes. sounds like the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air were out to get you yesterday!!

Lori Ann said...

Who knew running was also a dangerous sport? =)
Well, at least you're out there running to offset the TWD goodies!
Your Cinnamon Square cake looks really delish and I agree - pretty darn good cake!

twiddyfam said...

That happened to me about a week ago when I went out for a walk..needless to say I ended up jogging for awhile! Freaky crows anyway.

The Odermott's said...

not a fun run!!! holy cow hopefully it doesn't start happening everytime you go.

Puhlman said...

OK so I remember watching that movie with my best friend and we LAUGHED AND LAUGHED. It wasn't scary because there were some cheesy scenes and we just chose to laugh at them. I do have to say though that I would have been a big chicken if that happened to me. SO glad I exercise on the treadmill. :)

Melissa said...

I thought of this story as I was on my run and got a little wary when I approached some crows. They didn't try to attack, but I was keeping my eye on them.