Tuesday, June 2, 2009

for the birds

I will no longer think that Alfred Hitchcock's movie about birds is lame and not scary at all.

On my run last night, just after 8 o'clock, which by the way, is the worst time to go running. The gnats are out in full force and I find myself running through swarms of them and getting plenty up my nose. I have music playing in my ears but I can start to hear squawks coming from up above my head.

I look up and there is three smallish black birds flying at the same pace I'm running. Didn't think much about them. I run a few more minutes and then turn around when I reached 25 minutes on my watch. I'm running past the same spot and they returned again. This time flying closer to me.

By this time, I realize that they are trying to keep me, the predator, away from the nest. I pick up the pace just a little. But there is one bird that won't give up. I hear it getting much too close and turn around and see it flying right behind me, ready to kamikaze my head! It was seriously like it was a fighter jet and it was ready to unload its ammo at me.

I then start sprinting down the trail, covering my head with my arms, and I can still hear it squawking as it does a fly-by my head! I actually swatted at it, it was that close.

Death by a stupid black bird, that's what I was thinking.

It finally got through its little bird brain that I wasn't going to anywhere near its nest and left me alone.

Then I was nipped at by a terrier. A boy was taking his dog for a walk on the trail and he thought it would be a great idea to start running so the dog would chase him.

Nope.

The dog chased me and nipped at my right ankle.

Then right after that, a beetle flew smack into my left eye.

Who ever said that running wasn't a contact sport was loony.



And to make myself feel better, I think I might make some more of these from Tuesdays with Dorie. Chipster-Topped Brownies. Their two forces combined make for some magic in your mouth. You can find the recipe here. ((this was last weeks recipe, but i was a retard and didn't post it, even though i made them for cinco de mayo))

This was all that was left when I remembered I still needed to take a picture. They're that good. And hopefully I can get around to doing todays recipe, Cinnamon Squares.

Check back and there might be a picture of that.


Here they are:

I did omit the espresso powder. Go figure.

To me, it had the flavor and texture of a coffee cake. But of course, with the always welcome, chocolate! Pretty darn good cake.

6 comments:

Joshua and Jolie said...

yikes. sounds like the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air were out to get you yesterday!!

MLA said...

Who knew running was also a dangerous sport? =)
Well, at least you're out there running to offset the TWD goodies!
Your Cinnamon Square cake looks really delish and I agree - pretty darn good cake!

twiddyfam said...

That happened to me about a week ago when I went out for a walk..needless to say I ended up jogging for awhile! Freaky crows anyway.

The Odermott's said...

not a fun run!!! holy cow hopefully it doesn't start happening everytime you go.

Puhlman said...

OK so I remember watching that movie with my best friend and we LAUGHED AND LAUGHED. It wasn't scary because there were some cheesy scenes and we just chose to laugh at them. I do have to say though that I would have been a big chicken if that happened to me. SO glad I exercise on the treadmill. :)

Melissa said...

I thought of this story as I was on my run and got a little wary when I approached some crows. They didn't try to attack, but I was keeping my eye on them.