Thursday, April 16, 2009

say cheese...

I love taking pictures of my kids. That's because, just like every single other mother out there thinks, my kids are the cutest. I'll let you think yours are cute. But in my mind I'll be thinking, "Nuh-uh...not as cute as mine." Since that is what we mothers all think.

I was looking through our files and files and files of photos, reliving each moment with each one. And you know what I noticed? I can count on one and a half hands how many of those pictures that I'm actually in with my kids. And I have four kids. And the oldest is almost six.

I, like most of you, hate getting my picture taken. My biggest excuse is because I'm not the weight I want to be. How superficial/stupid is that? But that's the truth. And because of my lame excuse I could die tomorrow and my kids wouldn't have more than a handful of pictures with their mom. The one person in the world who loves them the most in the world. ((dads, you get second place in that category))

They don't care how much I weigh. They love me. For me. Not for what size my pants are. Not whether I can still run as fast as I used to. Or what my hair looks like. No. They love me for everything I am. Just as I love them for everything they are. And that deserves the respect to be in pictures with them. That way, when they look back at pictures, they won't have to wonder if mom was there with them.

They'll see me smiling back at them.


12 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so RIGHT! I'm still too fat for pictures though....I'll work on it. ;)

ericksonzone said...

That's some good insight. Just take pictures from the shoulders up - not too close though mind you. Ha!

Puhlman said...

Good advice and the same thing my sister thinks so she made her husband take a bunch of pictures of her and the kids. Get with it Aaron. And please, seriously, Rachel....you are gorgeous and not a bit fat.

Jolie said...

Excellent point. I find myself avoiding the camera for the same reason! There's a picture of me with newborn Jayden sitting on my lap. It's a cute picture of the two of us together, but what do MY eyes notice first??
My huge "tire in the middle" waistline.
And you're right; if I ask Jayden some day what he thinks about that picture, I'm sure he's not going to say, "well mom, I'd like it if you didn't look so fat."
They're going to cherish those pictures of us together no matter what we look like.

And it's WAY more important to me to leave a legacy of love for my children than a legacy of physical beauty.
;-)

ray-ray says said...

How come you hot husband is never in your pictures. By the way you look great!

ray-ray says said...

ok---who wrote that?!

i didn't!

but yes, my husband is hot!

ray-ray says said...

mystery solved!

it was my hot husband who left the comment.

j e s s i e said...

I love your profile picture!

Thanks for taking the time to enter in my photography give-away!

-Jessie

Raych the brain Stangle said...

hey Rach perfectly said and it got me thinking too. so when my kids did something adorable today i went ahead and took pictures of me with them. and had even more fun then what we started with. thanks for the inspiration chicky you rock. and the music on here is pretty dang cool too.

Hayter Family said...

so...post the darn pictures. I think you're a hottie.

The Dillon 6 said...

I keep coming back to this post expecting to see a picture of Y-O-U!!!

The Dillon 6 said...

waiiiiiiitiiiiing.