Thursday, April 23, 2009

a christmas story

That movie is an absolute classic. Hands down. Or rather faces down in mashed potatoes, eating dinner like a pig. Classic.

From beginning to end, it's just one gigantic one-liner. From the puffy snowsuit, tongue on the flagpole, the cursed furnace, the official Red Ryder carbine-action two-hundred-shot range model air rifle, to the leg lamp. ((did you know there's a house over here off Water Street that proudly displays theirs every Christmas season? it is a sight to behold to see it glowing in the front window.))

You're probably wondering to yourself why I'm typing about a Christmas movie the end of April. Remember the tire changing scene where Ralphy is helping his dad change the blown tire and the lug nuts fall in the snow? "Oooh fuuuudge." Well, my toddler who is learning how to say all sorts of new words, has found a new one. He had said it a couple times before and it made us giggle. But for his birthday he received a container full of bugs, lizards and frogs. Known around our house now as the f-dash-dash-dash word.

"Ooooo, frogs!"

"No! My frog!"

"Frog, frog, frog!"

He sure does love his frogs!


So if you happen to hear him merrily exclaim that word, don't judge him ((or me)), he just needs to work on his pronunciation a bit.

9 comments:

Pamela Brown said...

That is so funny, good thing kids are so innocent and they have no idea what they are saying. I love that movie, it is a classic, we watched it every Christmas growing up.

The Dillon 6 said...

hiLARious!

And that movie is definitely in my top 5.

The Dillon 6 said...

by the way -- your blog re-do is very FRESH, hot and YOUNG -- just like yOU!

Jolie said...

Hahahaha! Joanna went through a phase of pronouncing frog like that other not-becoming-of-a-toddler 'f' word. Thank goodness she never decided to yell it in a place like sacrament meeting or something!!

twiddyfam said...

It's funny that you posted this. My little guy goes around talking about his trucks...replacing the t with an f. My hubby thinks it's funny, and I'm always trying to get him to t-t-rucks.

WASHINGTON PUCKETTS: said...

that is funny. my nephew had issues pronouncing trucks. His mom took him shopping and he wanted a truck. she said no, so all through the store he was yelling at the top of his lungs "*uck! *uck!" she was mortified! Heehee! We have the leg lamp in our living room. My brother gave to us for Christmas last year. We'r going to display it until Christmas and then we will regift it to someone else in my family. :0)

The Royals said...

We have had trucks and frogs pronounced this way at our house. I love it!

Raych the brain Stangle said...

oh man wicked redo of the site!
and yeah we know all to well about those faux-pas but our common word is a rather clear pronunciation of the B-word. what my eldest is really trying to say is of course beach so you know it's understandable how that gets mixed around but when channing said it in front of Todd I was rather annoyed that he thought she was for real. like I would ever say that in front of my children, in ear shot.
and with my brothers that movie is a constant quote, and at the most random times "Ralphie I can't get up!" and what ever else strikes our fancy. gotta love it.

~j. said...

Perhaps we could meet, and have a great time: Your toddler could bring his frogs, and my toddler will bring his forks.