Thursday, March 5, 2009

ward par-tay

We're having a ward party on Saturday.

It's potluck.

((que the scary "jaws" music))

You all know what that means.

Eating less-than-stellar food.

After the blessing on the food is given, ((hopefully whoever has said the prayer, would have included something about blessing the food to change its entire molecular system to insure of its yumminess)) you mosey on up to the food line with kids in tow, eyeing the tables and deciding what exactly everything is and what exactly your kids will or will not eat. And especially looking for something to feed the husband. We have left a few potlucks and the words were uttered, "So what's really for dinner?"

You've all been there. Don't lie.

We've been assigned "main dish". Any thoughts on what we should bring?

And you know what? I don't think I've ever had green jell-o with shredded carrots. Isn't that supposed to be a Mormon staple at these things?

6 comments:

Jolie said...

This post cracked me up!

I don't know what has been a crazier social experience; family ward potlucks or those held at my old single's branch in Olympia. Back in the single days, we'd have monthly "break the fast" potlucks after church and let me tell you what, THOSE were the scariest as far as "will eating this give me food poisoning".

My all time favorite single's branch potluck was the time when this super creepy guy (you know, the one that listens to Bruce Hornsby and asks ALL the girls in the ward out at least once) brought fresh, just-purchased KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN. In KFC containers, nonetheless. On Sunday. Well, at least we knew there was going to be one yummy, edible item on the menu! Mmm, was I breaking the Sabbath by eating it? Maybe I should repent for that.

WASHINGTON PUCKETTS: said...

i always like to make chicken enchiladas. at least you know there will be one thing your family will like since you have main dish. :0)

Jolie said...

p.s. A main dish idea? Chili. You don't have to spend a fortune making a huge serving of it, you can make it in the crock pot, and you can take it in the crock pot and keep it warm.

Beth Tunnell said...

Sometimes we just wait for the dessert table and take a few different delicacies. It's hard to go wrong with a cookie dinner... Maybe you should make your secret recipe cookies and call it a main dish.

The Dillon 6 said...

I actually LOVE a potluck! The pot-luckier, the better. I try to feed the kids ahead of time...they are way to busy getting hyper to sit and eat. And I take things that my family will eat...that way there is always something "good" for us to eat. Casseroles travel well. Chips & salsa are always a hit. the aforementioned KFC is always a popular item. Laurel's favorites include pizza, rice crispy treats and "that salad" (? I'll have to get back to you), and lasagna (another item that travels well).

My favorite potlucks were in our branch in Yonkers...at one time I think we had close to a dozen nations represented by our <50 members. there was some seriously YUMMY food!

Have fun!!

The Royals said...

We have definitely uttered "what's really for dinner" quite a few times.