Wednesday, November 5, 2008

i'm rocking my baby

Dishes needed to be done. The laundry, too.
The piles of stuff that have been appearing, needed to be sorted through and filed away.
Floors needed to be vacuumed and swept.

I sat and rocked Blake after his nap for almost an hour.

More productive? I think so.

He likes Halloween candy. A lot.

And here's one of my all time favorite poems....it goes along with what I did(n't) accomplish.

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

5 comments:

Tina said...

I LOVE THAT!!! When my grandma passed away I got to keep some of her half finished craft things. One of the items I have and is on my list to do is a crewel project with part of that poem and a picture of a mother rocking her baby. I hope I can finish it one day. Anyway, thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you rocked your baby.

The Dillon 6 said...

I think you should be the mom of my kids. ;) Thanks for the great reminder. :)

Melissa said...

I love it. It's easy to get caught up in all the things that need to get done and to forget to just enjoy your children. That's been my goal lately. They are only three and one and I already feel like it is going way, way too fast!

Chelsi said...

What a great reminder that sometimes, you just have to cherish those moments when nothing else is getting done besides spending time with the ones that mean the most. Everything can wait and will get done eventually. There are days when I feel that if all I accomplish today is to have a happy Madi, that's ok. You're a great mom Rachel!

Lore Smart said...

love the poem. It can be easy to forget that they do in fact grow up fast and those precious times spent are priceless. Everything else can wait. Great reminder Rachel, love it.