Tuesday, January 29, 2008

sugar & spice and everything nice

I was mad. You weren't going to bed. At all. We had put you to bed at 8:30 and it was now 11 o'clock. You're still coming out of your room, each time with a new trick.
My favorite was when you came out with your hands on your knees, fake crying, saying your knees were broken. Girl, you deserved an Oscar for that performance.
Each time you came out we told you it was bedtime and took you back. We tried the nice approach, the threatening approach and even the really pissed off approach. Nothing was working.
Dad and I are in bed and you're still coming out of your room.
Now it's 11:30, and we hear you open the door and walk into our room for the fourth time in the past half-hour. I told you, you could sleep with us only because I was tired of hauling you back to your bed. You climbed in with us and were you nice and quiet? No. You wanted to talk and sing and move around.
I finally told you I was putting you in your bed and if you came out again I would spank your bum. You just looked at me and said you had a secret to tell me. You grabbed my face and put your lips right next to my ear and whispered, "I am a child of God. And he has sent me to you."
What?! Here I am trying to be the mean mom and you pull that out of your pocket? Well, it worked. My heart melted and I quietly picked you up, carried you to your room and put you to bed. I sang you a song, told you I loved you and to have sweet dreams. You said, "I love you, Mama. Goodnight."
I love you too, Lily.
Now go to sleep.

5 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

aren't they AMAZING?!

Stan and Jamie said...

okay, so that had me tearing up! Just when you want to ring their little necks...they do something like that and make you feel guilty!!!

Jolie said...

...that really is what girls are made of!!!
What a beautiful little moment you two had as mother and daughter!! I'm sure that will stick with you for years to come and then you can tell her about it when she's bigger.
Oftentimes I wonder if God prompts children to say stuff like that to remind us "worldly" adults what really matters in life.

Plain City Dickamores said...

Rachel Aren't you creative. Nice little tidbits about you and yours. Thanks again for all your help. Love you sis.

Sheila said...

That story was hilarious! Seriously, you should be a writer.