Thursday, May 9, 2013

big reveal

If I'm even an hour late for my "monthly meeting" I start freaking out.

I was a day late and overwhelming panic was setting in. I played it cool whenever the-man-who-did-this-to-me asked how things were going.

The next day, I stopped by the Dollar Store to pick-up a pregnancy test. They have always worked in the past, so why spend the money on the more expensive tests?

Came home. Put Cade and Oneil down for naps. Took the test.

I think I stared at it for a good five minutes thinking that it was going to miraculously change signs. It didn't. Then I was thinking that it was just a stupid Dollar Store test and that it was probably made in China and that the lead poisoning messed up what the real result was supposed to read. So I made sure the boys were really asleep, turned on Netflix in case they woke-up, locked the doors and drove to the grocery store and bought the $8 pregnancy test.

Those two tests had the same result.

I didn't call and tell Aaron at work.

I didn't tell him when he came home from work.

I didn't tell him when he asked if we were in the clear.

I finally told him when he asked after dinner. The kids were around and so it was spoken in the adult form of secret language. We used words and phrases that made sense only to us. His first words were something like:

You're kidding, right?
Are you sure?
You're joking.
For real?

A little bit of a pause and then.....

Are you seriously that flippin' fertile?!

I soon after called my baby doctor and put in an order for the pills that make it bearable. I have never had a smooth sailing pregnancy. If only I knew when I was puking while pregnant with Corgan how easy it was compared to going through the same thing with five other kids at home.

The worst is over. ((I also thought that while pregnant with Oneil and so we went on a family backpack trip to Ozette. I started getting sick and throwing up on the coast. Ahhhhh....the happy memories.))

Up until last week, I would only have about 3 hours in the afternoon when I would feel okay. I wouldn't feel like staying balled up in the fetal position on the couch. Now I'm only a little nauseous in the mornings and then starting around 7 or so, the heavy duty nausea sets in and all I want is to be knocked unconscious. 

One evening, Aaron and Corgan were returning home from church activities. Upon entering the living room and seeing me on the couch, Aaron said, "What happened? Who died?"

I said nothing had happened and that I was just laying on the couch. He very lovingly said, "Oh, well you look like you were hit by a bus, I thought something bad had happened."

Nope. Just me looking all sexy and pregnant.

Speaking of looking good, I'm not one of those women who put on 12 lbs and only look pregnant from the side. My entire body becomes pregnant. Expansion happens all over the place and has already begun. So I have that to look forward to.

We told the kids about the baby on Sunday and that's why I've been sick lately. Blake said, "Well, you have been sitting on the couch a lot." 

They all said they hope it's a girl. And for Lily's sake, I do, too. But boy or girl, that baby is going to be smothered with love and kisses.

But I've told my doctor to start practicing triple knotting, 'cause this surprise isn't going to be happening again.


Jolie said...

It makes for one great story!! If there's one thing for certain, your new baby will be in great hands and be loved dearly. You guys are wonderful parents and Heavenly Father needs his little people to go to the best in the baby making business! hahaha

kmay and mike said...

Hahaha I like how even your kids noticed your "laying on the couch a lot!" :)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious Rachel. I love your blog!Karen Foley