Friday, January 18, 2013

hip-hip-hooray





Remember when I stopped running back at the beginning of September 'cause there was something wrong with my hip and I couldn't run in the marathon I was signed up for?

I didn't run for four months. For four months I did nothing that would aggravate that hip. I wore an ice pack around, stretched like Gumby, and popped ibruprofen to help with the swelling for a little while to try and get it under control.

I was waiting for the New Year to commence with pounding the pavement again. On New Year's Eve mid-morning, I laced up my running shoes and left the house. I was beyond happy to be out on a run again. Happier than a leprechaun finding gold at the end of the rainbow. Happier than all those Sonics fans out there who might be getting a basketball team back in Seattle. But that happiness faded about 4 minutes into the run. The same tightness was back and I was frustrated and mad and not so happy anymore.

Waited another couple days and went on another run. This time I was able to run about 8 minutes before I felt it.

Long story short, I made a doctors appointment and he told me about some witch doctor solution to rub on after every run for awhile and then I got a cortisone shot in my hip. He said to wait 4-5 days and then I could start up running again but to make sure to be patient and take it slow and continue to do all the other things I've been doing and I'll be a-okay.

It's tendinitis. But because I had run on it for so long injured, I had done some real damage that really needed time to repair and now I just have to slowly stretch back out those tendons and scar tissue and hopefully in a month or two, I'll be back to my old runnin' self again. Which is great news considering I have the marathon coming up in October.

High fives all around!

2 comments:

kmay and mike said...

✋ High five! Good news. And oneil has never looked cuter wearing that yellow headband :)

Smith Family said...

So are you a fan of yoga now?? All that stretching might help!