Friday, October 5, 2012

on the injured list

My name is Rachel and it's been 34 days since my last run.

I was training for a marathon that takes place tomorrow.

Everything was going great.

I was averaging 8 minute miles on my long runs.

I was looking at finishing the marathon around 3:30.

Then a bursa sac on my right hip had other plans for me.

It became all inflamed like a water balloon and was like, "um, you ain't runnin' no race."

I talked with a professional and all hope of being able to run in the marathon were stomped out completely.

I would need to take at least 4-6 weeks off of running, pop ibuprofen, and do a contrasting treatment of ice and heat as often as I could. And then when I am able to, to ever so slowly ease back into running.

It sucks.

Big time.

Aaron's been really supportive; he know how much running means to me. But he also wants a healthy, uninjured wife for years to come so he's been making sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to in order to get back out running again.

Although my original plans for tomorrow have been messed up, I've been trying to look at the positive in all of this.

-i don't have to wake-up at 4 in the morning to get ready and get to the shuttle to take me to the starting line.

-i will have control of my bowels tomorrow. something about running 26.2 miles does things to your innards.

-tomorrow the kids have their first soccer games since the fires started. fresh air!

-i won't be walking around like the Tin Man due to ultra sore muscles.

-november 3rd will be my first attempt at running again. that gives me something to look forward to.

Happy General Conference weekend, y'all!

1 comments:

kmay and mike said...

You didn't want to run in that smoky air anyways! November 3rd can't come soon enough! ����