Tuesday, October 11, 2011

boo-yah

It had just turned dusk-ish.

I was on a run and approaching a four-way stop. When I reached the intersection, two other runners passed at the exact same time.

One was a dude. He came from the left and continued on to the right. He wore no headphones or watch. One of those runners who ran without care to any sort of measurement.

The other was a chick. She came from the right and continued on to the left. She wore headphones, but no watch. She was dressed in knee length running tights and sports bra on top, no shirt. Maybe she saw someone who had greater need of such a useless piece of fabric.

I crossed the intersection and then turned left.

The chick and I were running in the same direction. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her sizing me up. I was wearing running shorts and a t-shirt, headphones and a watch. Maybe she thought that since her stomach was as flat as the earth was once thought, that her running ability would be better than someone who chose to cover up what having five children left her with. But I quickly put her and her bare midriff in its place when I sailed on ahead of her.

Moral of the story:

Just because your "ship" may look all fit and fancy doesn't mean it performs as fast as you think. The old jalopy will always kick your trash as you're looking in the mirror making sure your shorts are tight enough.

4 comments:

Plain City Dickamores said...

way to knock her on her ARSE runner sister!!!

kyejanay said...

I love this post. I am so inspired by you and enjoy your bog!!

Maytribe said...

So if you are an "old jalopy" what am I? :)

Melissa said...

Love it! My old state shorts from 99 are still in my work out rotation and I would be lying if I said I don't feel some satisfaction when I pass a runner in her perfectly coordinated clothes. Good job!