Friday, October 9, 2009

domo arigato

There are times I wish I had a remote with a special button to turn my children into Stepford children.

Just think of it. No whining, or talking back, or yelling, or running away in the parking lot with a car coming around the corner.....not that any of that has happened to me within the last 24 hours or anything. I'm being purely hypothetical here.

But wouldn't it be lovely to have well-behaved children all the time?

"Why, yes Mother. I would love to have a 16th helping of those awesome vegetables."

You betcha!

"Mother Dear? May I fold the clothes for you? And then put them away?"

Oh, be still my beating heart!

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on with the possibilities of having Stepford children. And I'm sure you know where I'm going with this thought of having well-behaved children all the time.

It would suck.

Just like in that mediocre movie, the elementary lesson learned is that when everybody is the same, it's boring.

And just because there are times when my four-year-old tells my two-year-old, to go and tackle my nine-month-old, and does so with so much gusto that it slams the babys' face on the kitchen floor, that does not mean that I should wish for them to be replaced with catatonic-like emotions and behaviors.

Because I'm positive that when I'm in the middle of throwing them in their rooms and telling them they can never come out because of what they did, I'm pretty sure they're wishing I was a Stepford Mom.



7 comments:

Pamela Brown said...

Couldn't agree more!!!!! But I do think that is why chocolate and sugar was created. Heavens way to compensate for having un-Stepford like children. Sometimes it's the only way I make it through the day :)

WASHINGTON PUCKETTS: said...

.....and really what would we blog about????

Melissa said...

Cute post (and so true). This made me laugh.

Mojo said...

oh, no. that's my life already.

The Odermott's said...

lol i second that!!!

Sampson Family said...

In order to have well behaved children we would have to be well behaved parents - and lets be totally honest, where is the fun in that!!

I laughed so hard and made Paul read this - too funny!

Puhlman said...

OH how I would love to have JUST ONE moment of a family like that. I mean how harmful would it be if the kids just sat for five minutes without killing each other or whining or bouncing off the walls.

I can feel the peace in that so clearly but I have never experienced it. The joys of having our own wrestling, boxing and football teams. No need for us to ever go to a game. We have them daily in our home.

Rachel...you are soooooo funny. I love reading your blog.